Friday, February 11, 2005

Turd Blossom

Did no-one else notice the similarities between the Bush and Howard campaigns? Bush used gay marriage as his touchstone issue to 'get out' the conservative vote. Howard tried it, but Tania Plibersek trumped him by agreeing. Now we have to endure a pointless, ideological debate on abortion . Why? Dennis Glover puts it all in perspective. It's all about making conservative voters identify with your agenda , without necessarily spelling it out or targeting their hip pockets. Call it subliminal politics. It scares me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Abortion is the new GST for Johnny. I'm got exactly the same vibe from when he put Tony Abbott in his place late last year as when he said "the GST is long gone, dead, never coming back". The age article just confirmed my worst suspicions.

Such a shame John Hewson didn't win the '93 election. If he had, then Tony Abbott's political career would have died before it even begun. I think this is the first time I've ever wished a liberal politician well.

skander said...

I'm actually a big fan of John Hewson's. He has his head screwed on the right way—he's a fiscal as well as social liberal, which is where my heart lies. Not that anyone in Australian politics, no matter what colour stripe, could get away with being fiscally profligate anymore.

There would have been a double pyrrhic victory there too: No Howard. Though we still would have lost Keating...

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »