Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Cardinal Puff has his first drink for the evening

After a heated conversation I had last night, what are everyone's ideas of an acceptible level of alcohol consumption?

I had always thought that a glass or two of wine each day was acceptible, so let's say that's equal to a couple of beers, or a shared bottle of wine over dinner. And then let's throw in one, maybe even two, proper nights on the piss a week, not falling over drunk but a good solid Friday night session sorta thing, a few laughs and the like, maybe a mild hangover, and a dry day. I was told that this was the position of an alcoholic. My response was, predictably, that according to most of those sort of labels, everyone I know is an alcoholic because the common definition is some sort of prudish Seppo self-help-book definition of consumption of more than two glasses of elderberry-wine three times a week is 'alocohol addiction'.

What do fellow residents of the blog-o-sphere think?

And while we're at it, where do you stand on the regularlity of recreation drug use? Or a healthy level of exercise?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You should have a glass of red wine with every meal that isn't breakfast. It's good for the heart.

I think use of non-needle drugs is asseptible (sic). I don't think it's a good idea to smoke pot every day, but a J every other day can't hurt you (except give you cancer). The price of cocaine means you can't really over-indulge in it. Stay away from crystal meth.

Get in a bit of walking. If you live inner-city, walk to work every other day. Maybe get in a bit of weight training twice a week and do a few push ups etc.

Wow, I'm Mr Virtuous.

Riza said...

There is no such thing as a healthy level of exercise.

skander said...

What do you mean by that Riza?

Riza said...

Umm... nothing really, just trying to be clever.

But I don't think the level of drinking you describe is in any way excessive. Christ, I could do all that before breakfast... And there's nothing wrong with me!

Mikeymoo said...

You can't win with some people. You're either an alcoholic, a binge drinker, or both.

skander said...

Alrighty then Riza, when you hit town next we'll have to see what we can tuck away before noontime, eh?

Must say my own recreational drug habits have slackened off lately... Then again, when it rains, it pours.

LadyCracker said...

Skander
My take on all of the above although since you ahve read my blog I think you would pretty aware of my habits.
Exercise - every day
Drinking - red wine with dinner, sometimes a glass of white with lunch and definitely beer on Sunday afternoons.
Recreationals - I like them and agree with M!key, stay away from the crystal. Smoking pot is ok in moderation.

skander said...

Never had a bash at chrystal meth, though I got offered some on a Thursday evening recently. And politely declined, as you do. Did get into a good old chat with one of my posse about it, and she quite digs it, but then again, she's also a recreational heroin user. Whatever. I fucking hate speed, so this shit doesn't sound like it's up my alley in the slightest.

My tastes in that area tend to the organic, so I'm down with grass, charlie (when I can afford it) and some psilocybe in season. Throw in a cheeky half on the chemical side with a certain amount of regularity and I'm a happy man.

My days of pill-popping proper are, unfortunately, behind me. I sometimes wonder whether that's due to age, or the cirlces one moves in. A combination of both, I suspect.

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Cable headphone appliances front load washers botox injection Clostridium botulinum isolation mouse Botox effects injection side retirement planning sep 401k i buy plotters Buy vicodin cash delivery Caffeine vitamin supplements Aerosolized botulinum toxin hiker water filters Lacie hard drive for laptops Crest syndrome and rosacea pharmacy on line Antique gold filigre bracelet Apache awnings in ireland Electronic article surveillance research Will nail polish remover damage car paint Leadership training videos corporate training