Thursday, June 09, 2005

When you've finished the Da Vinci Code...

I got hit up for a recommendation of something to read today. Initially blank, as I'm spending waaay too much time pinging between an epic RPG and a children's book at the mo', it got me thinking. At my last workplace, the beer-sodden Friday night conversation would often turn to books once the backstabbing and breaches of confidence had been exhausted. My new one is all about AV: it's what's on TV, what's on DVD, what on at the cinema. It's also younger. And there's less drinking (and less beeyotching too). What does this say about the youth of today?

So Dawei, a handful of books, fiction being my bag:
I have to draw a line somewhere. So consider it drawn.

Scratch that. If you like Could Atlas, check out If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino. Postmodernity in type. I'm feeling weak at the knees jus' thinking about it.

And finally The Periodic Table by Primo Levi. Existential chemistry from a man who threw himself down a set of stairs.

4 comments:

Dawei said...

That's funny, I had just finished The Folding Star by Holinghurst when I asked for a rec!

skander said...

What is that like Dawei? Recommend?

Fred said...

woo! no Amazon links... I fucking hate that site, and the self-important "user reviews" that are attached to every product.

skander said...

Agreed FA, I'm not in the game of selling the books, just recommending a couple I have dug recently. It's surprisingly hard to find review/fan sites as opposed to sales-sites...

User reviews... ppfffttt.